Sunday, March 15, 2009

Moments

"I am coming Duli. And I am bringing some chicken too," I observed.
"Yeah sure, we'll be waiting," Duli replied happily.
It had already been long since I visited his place last. Chedup was there with him too. Soon after I reached his place in the evening, half a dozen beer bottles were bought. And as the chicken and the whole dinner was being cooked,we sat down like usual helping ourselves with the beer and then the conversations followed.
Chedup is from Mechuka,a place I always longed to visit. Last year too the plan for a biking trip to Mechuka could not be accomplished. But this time, I surely will ride all the way there.

"....and then the bamboo groves disappear suddenly, and there starts the reign of the majestic Spruces, Pines and the Himalayan Rhododendrons. A land where the mountains change colors every season.They are brown and yellow and look worn out during the winter and just before summer,the people burn the bushes all off the mountains to scare off the snakes and you get 'black mountains', and then new bushes grow and the mountains turn all green as the summer arrives," Chedup recollected the views of the picturesque place.

"....and during the beginning of the summer,an amazing thing happens. The sun rays touch the valley as early as 3:30 am. I was first confused if my watch was out of order but his dad cleared the doubt saying it was normal," Duli observed. He had visited Chedup's home last year.

"....and there are all these holy inscriptions all around carved out of rocks. And earlier,there used to be a direct route from here to Lhasa in Tibet. Now it has been sealed by the Border Security Forces. It has got a really important historic value as they say the 'Silk Route' used to pass through here in the early days," Duli, who is studying history, continued still.

"Don't worry at all about accommodation. My home is always open for you. And I'd be glad to show you around the place," Chedup observed.

I really don't know much about history like Duli does but still it has always been a place I wanted to see. Now that they have given me an imaginary glimpse of what it is like, my penchant to go there has increased a hundredfold.
As the conversation went on, we least realized that seven bottles of beer had almost been finished. God! that was too much. Chedup jumped to bed after quickly finishing his dinner as he got pretty high after the heavy drink. Duli and I talked for some more time till we totally consumed the beer. Then we went off to sleep.

"Did I have dinner last night?" Chedup asked the next morning.He had forgotten he did.

3 comments:

dulee said...

oh!!!! its superb!!!!!u r so quick n dashing!!!!! jai ho to ur writing n ur dynamic hands n mind!!!! keep writing!!!!

Moli said...

can smell ruskin bond in you

sceleste said...

lag toh raha hai jaise ki sirf beer piney hi gaya tha....haha...